This academic year, we are very excited to be working towards the Schools of Sanctuary award. A School of Sanctuary is a school that is committed to being a safe and welcoming place for those seeking sanctuary. This could be people whose lives were in danger in their own country, who have troubles at home or are just looking for a space of safety.
A School of Sanctuary is a school that helps its students, staff and wider community to understand what it means to be seeking sanctuary and to extend a welcome to everyone as equal, valued members of the school community. It is a school that is proud to be a place of safety and inclusion for all. We believe that, here at Kingston Park Primary School, we are one of these schools and that our inclusive and safe environment should be recognised for this.
Schools of Sanctuary is an initiative which aims to:
* Promote positive attitudes within schools and their communities around people seeking sanctuary;
* Support schools to take positive steps and to be proud of being places of safety and inclusion for all;
* Recognise and celebrate schools that are committed to welcoming and supporting people seeking sanctuary;
* Create a sense of safety and inclusion that is beneficial to all members of the school community;
* It provides learning opportunities about what it means to seek sanctuary and to dispel some negative myths as well as wider issues of human rights, social justice and diversity;
* It strengthens race equality and community cohesion in school;
* It is an opportunity to increase student voice and promote active citizenship (linked to the school’s British Values policy).
There are three simple principles to being a School of Sanctuary:
1. Learn about what it means to be seeking sanctuary.
2. Take positive action to embed concepts of welcome, safety and inclusion within our school and the wider community.
3. Share our vision and achievements – be proud!
At Kingston Park, we know that we incorporate all these elements of being an inclusive and safe place to learn. We are now working hard to produce a portfolio of evidence to gain this award. We will let you know when we have been successful. Watch this space!